I love my daughter like crazy, but I have to say that this phase of babyhood and entering toddler-hood is not my favorite.
Sadie has a very strong personality. She has wants and opinions, but doesn’t have the words to convey any of them, so there’s a lot of frustrating guess work.
She also is striving for a lot of independence as she explores her little world, but most of that independence is dangerous for her as she gravitates towards things she shouldn’t be.
- Our week has been full of screaming and crying.
- No morning naps.
- Fighting afternoon naps.
- Finding the one and only electrical socket behind her crib and playing with it.
- Throwing food on the floor from her highchair, which ends her meals abruptly and is followed by a tantrum.
- Standing up in the bathtub again.
- Refusing food she couldn’t get enough of yesterday.
- Pulling books off the bookshelf when she knows it’s wrong because she says, “No, no” as she is doing it.
- Screaming the entire car ride in the car seat because she threw her pabbi or toy on purpose and now wants it back despite the fact that I’m driving.
- Spitting out pain meds when it used to be such a non-issue.
- Not wanting to have any independent play and relying on me to entertain her the entire time.
- Wanting to be held. Then screaming because I’m holding her. Then wanting to be held again. Then pulling my hair because I picked her up.
- Refusing to lay on her back on the changing table and trying to change a poopy diaper while she screams her way to her tummy.
- Waking up earlier and earlier for no reason.
I know all this negative behavior is her age, her stage in life, and her figuring out what the boundaries are when it comes to Mommy & Daddy disciplining her.
I know she’s a good girl who is just in a funk for what could be a myriad of reasons. None of which I have been able to figure out.
But I’m exhausted. I’m craving down time.
I’m wishing I had my Mom to call for advice on what she did with me at this age like everyone else, but I don’t. I don’t get that relief. There’s nobody I get to call to come rescue me.
I’m out of ideas on how to get myself through the day without pulling my hair out and sitting on the floor in the middle of my living room crying in defeat for another morning gone south (not that I’m doing that right now…ok, so maybe I am).
I guess it’s easier to take these sort of days when they are few and far between. But when it’s an every day occurrence for over a week now, you start to wonder if it’s you just being a bad Mom.
Somebody please tell me when this phase is over…