When you try this recipe for the first time you will inevitably want to jump through the computer screen to give me a hug and thank me for introducing this lovely Cooking Light recipe into your life. There’s a reason this is one of my all-time favorite meals… It will make you full, it will make you happy, and it will make you feel like you just put together a gourmet vegetarian meal that wasn’t lacking in anything!
Okay, okay. The only horrible thing about it is that I didn’t think this one up by myself, but it’s so good, I’m over it!
* Add a nice cup of tomato soup sit to beside this sammy, and you will be in heaven. Trust me.
So, you’re welcome in advance!
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) eggplant slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 (1-ounce) slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons refrigerated pesto
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) soft goat cheese
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 teaspoon oil. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand. Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil bell pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened. Place bell pepper in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
3. Broil bread slices for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once. Spread 1 tablespoon pesto on each of 2 bread slices. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper half, and 2 eggplant slices. Toss arugula with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and black pepper; divide arugula mixture evenly between sandwiches. Spread 2 tablespoons goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place, cheese side down, on sandwiches.