These are such an inexpensive, healthy treat I like to keep in the freezer. I recommend doubling the recipe because sadly, they don’t last long with all of us fighting over them! They are perfect for on the go, for a sweet tooth, or for some extra energy to get you through a tough workout.
I love using flax seeds in these energy balls as an easy way for us to get some great Omega-3’s into our diet. They also contain a ton of lingnans that are fiber-like and help your small intestine absorb more nutrients in the food you eat by slowing down digestion before emptying its contents.
What you’ll need:
– 1 cup of oatmeal
– 1/2 cup sun butter (you can use almond or peanut butter if you are luckier than we are and live with no allergies)
– 1/3 cup cocoa powder
– 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened (or sweetened) coconut
– 3/4 cup of whole flax seeds
– 1/3 cup of honey (or blue agave – whatever you have on hand)
– 2 teaspoons of vanilla
– handful or two of dried cranberries or cherries
Mix well in a med/large bowl, then let chill in fridge for a half hour. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray then roll into little balls. Store them in the fridge in an airtight container, or freeze like we love to do. Makes about 25-30 small-ish balls.