While we’re doing P90X, we have ramped up the amount of lean protein we’re eating in addition to our usual frugal beans and lentils. It means increasing our grocery budget a little bit, but this is the temporary phase of our family life where we are needing to meet the need on a couple different levels. Partly because my diet is so restricted with nursing Jonah that I haven’t been eating enough to keep me satiated, and also so we can have enough energy to get through grueling workouts.
This recipe is quick on a rushed night with the kids and packs a great amount of the fresh flavor factor that I love in a good sauce. If you don’t have broccoli or sweet peppers, feel free to go hog wild in your fridge and use up any veg you have on hand. Your wok will love you and so will your belly.
I’ve adapted this recipe from Martha.
Cooking tip: Let the canola oil preheat in your wok or flat bottomed skillet for a bit. You don’t want the entire thing smoking, but you do want it to be hot enough that it creates a nice caramelization on your chicken to lock in those great flavors in the marinade and lend a different texture to your dish.
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound broccoli, stems peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick, florets separated
- 8 sweet mini bell peppers, cut lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 small lemon, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed (I prefer Meyer lemon)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together tamari, 3 tablespoons water, vinegar, honey, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Pour half of the mixture into another bowl; reserve. Place chicken in remaining mixture; let marinate 15 minutes.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add half the chicken; cook, tossing often, until brown and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Repeat with another 1/2 tablespoon oil and remaining chicken. Wipe skillet with a paper towel.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook broccoli, sweet mini bell peppers, and lemon, tossing often, until broccoli is bright green, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water; cook until broccoli is tender and lemon is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade, cornstarch mixture, chicken, and any accumulated juices from plate. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring until thickened, 1 minute.