I love this meal for the fall with our family. It’s healthy, comforting, and smells amazing in the house when you walk in after a long day.
Using fresh herbs bring the dish a lively freshness, but feel free to sub with dried herbs if that’s what you have on hand. Simply reduce the amount called for in the recipe.
Don’t be afraid to throw in some of those fresh-picked apples from a great apple-picking day with the family if you’re feeling crazy too…figs and apples?! Ummm…yes, please.
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, pepper
- 12 dried dark figs, quartered
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
1. Brush chicken with olive oil and season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Add chicken to the crock pot. Top with onion, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, garlic and figs. Add chicken, fresh herbs, and chicken stock.
3. Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Serve warm.